Kashmiri separatists on Tuesday came out in support of former Delhi University professor S A R Geelani who has been arrested over alleged anti-India statements, saying the action amounts to “muzzling the freedom of expression”.
Hardline Hurriyat Conference chief Syed Ali Shah Geelani also opposed the arrest of JNU Students Union leader Kanhaiya Kumar in connection with alleged anti-India sloganeering.
- Kashmir unrest: Separatist men who won’t talk
- The other sedition arrest -- S A R Geelani
- Kashmir Valley shuts down over Prof Geelani, JNU row
- Hurriyat Chairman Geelani continues to be under house arrest despite CM Mufti's 'battle of ideas'
- Syed Ali Shah Geelani put under house arrest
- HC asks govt: Why not criminal cases against Geelani,Roy
“This detention has no constitutional and legal justification and it is an act of muzzling the freedom of expression,” he said about the arrest of S A R Geelani.
Demanding immediate release of Geelani and Kanhaiya, the Hurriyat leader said, “The secular and democratic claims of India are badly exposed day by day and this country is on its way to become an extremely intolerant Hindu Rashtra.”
He also termed as “baseless and ridiculous” the comment by Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh linking the JNU event with Pakistan and Hafiz Sayeed.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Moderate Hurriyat Conference chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq said, “Geelani’s arrest is against democratic principles and reflects dictatorial politics.”
JKLF leader Yasin Malik said, “This (Geelani’s arrest) is a glaring example of dictatorship under the garb of democracy.”
Controversial Independent MLA Sheikh Abdul Rashid also jumped into the row, saying “I thank and salute the students and scholars of JNU for raising their voice against the hanging of (Parliament attack convict Afzal) Guru. Hats off to them.”
He added, “Unfortunately, BJP and Congress are trying to use it for political gains and are giving it a political colour. It is an ideological war and battle of ideas, not a battle between BJP and Congress.”
Rashid said “if the students of JNU are anti-national, then why is BJP trying to ally with the PDP” whose MLAs “had endorsed my stand on Guru on eve of seeking my support for Rajya Sabha and Legislative Council elections last year”.