A video that showed JNU student leader Kanhaiya Kumar shouting slogans, purportedly for the freedom of Kashmir, could have been doctored. The video went viral on social media and was aired on some TV news channels.
On Thursday, two TV channels, India Today TV and ABP News, aired programmes which sought to prove that the video was doctored. They showed what could be the original video which had different slogans.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
BJP spokesperson Sambit Patra had played the video during a TV debate as “clinching evidence” of Kanhaiya’s “anti-national” activities on the JNU campus. The video showed Kanhaiya at a rally, shouting slogans endorsing freedom for Kashmir, including “Hum lekar rahenge… azaadi.”
- Telescope: Hot under the collar
- JNU Row: Must-watch videos that have influenced social media
- JNU row: Police report mentions 29 slogans, not ‘Pakistan Zindabad’
- JNU row: Kanhaiya’s bail plea cites reports of ‘doctored’ footage
- JNU row: Now, Delhi Police seek Zee’s camera, chip for Afzal Guru event footage
- JNU row: Supreme Court refuses to hear Kanhaiya Kumar's bail plea
While ABP News showed footage of the “original video”, on which audio was allegedly superimposed, India Today TV showed three videos: the one which is now believed to be fake, the “original” Kanhaiya video and a third video in which the audio of unidentified people shouting slogans for freedom of Kashmir was superimposed.
According to the ABP News programme, Kanhaiya made no reference to Kashmir in the “original video”. In the video, he is seen outside the JNU administration building with a group of students. He chants what he wants freedom from and the crowds respond with ‘azaadi’.
“Bhukhmari se… azaadi. Sanghvad se… azaadi. Samantvad se… azaadi. Punjivad se… azaadi. Brahmanvad se… azaadi. Manuvad se… azaadi. Hum lekar rahenge… azaadi. Tum kuch bhi kar lo… azaadi. Hai haq humaari… azaadi. Hai jaan se pyari… azaadi.
Dangaiyon se… azaadi (Freedom from hunger. Freedom from Sangh. Freedom from feudalism. Freedom from capitalism.
Freedom from Brahmanism. Freedom from Manusmriti. We will get freedom. You do what you can. It is our right. It is dearer than life. Freedom from rioters).”
Asked about the video he showed on a TV channel, Patra said, “I was showing a video that was broadcast on another TV channel. I do not know whether it was a real or a fake video. That is for an investigation to prove.”
On Wednesday, some news channels had aired the video, now believed to be fake, and claimed it “exposed” Kanhaiya, catching his “sedition” on tape.