A video that showed JNU student leader Kanhaiya Kumar shouting slogans, purportedly for the freedom of Kashmir, could have been doctored. The video went viral on social media and was aired on some TV news channels.
On Thursday, two TV channels, India Today TV and ABP News, aired programmes which sought to prove that the video was doctored. They showed what could be the original video which had different slogans.
BJP spokesperson Sambit Patra had played the video during a TV debate as “clinching evidence” of Kanhaiya’s “anti-national” activities on the JNU campus. The video showed Kanhaiya at a rally, shouting slogans endorsing freedom for Kashmir, including “Hum lekar rahenge… azaadi.”
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Telescope: Hot under the collar
- JNU Row: Must-watch videos that have influenced social media
- JNU row: Police report mentions 29 slogans, not ‘Pakistan Zindabad’
- JNU row: Kanhaiya’s bail plea cites reports of ‘doctored’ footage
- JNU row: Now, Delhi Police seek Zee’s camera, chip for Afzal Guru event footage
- JNU row: Supreme Court refuses to hear Kanhaiya Kumar's bail plea
While ABP News showed footage of the “original video”, on which audio was allegedly superimposed, India Today TV showed three videos: the one which is now believed to be fake, the “original” Kanhaiya video and a third video in which the audio of unidentified people shouting slogans for freedom of Kashmir was superimposed.
According to the ABP News programme, Kanhaiya made no reference to Kashmir in the “original video”. In the video, he is seen outside the JNU administration building with a group of students. He chants what he wants freedom from and the crowds respond with ‘azaadi’.
“Bhukhmari se… azaadi. Sanghvad se… azaadi. Samantvad se… azaadi. Punjivad se… azaadi. Brahmanvad se… azaadi. Manuvad se… azaadi. Hum lekar rahenge… azaadi. Tum kuch bhi kar lo… azaadi. Hai haq humaari… azaadi. Hai jaan se pyari… azaadi.
Dangaiyon se… azaadi (Freedom from hunger. Freedom from Sangh. Freedom from feudalism. Freedom from capitalism.
Freedom from Brahmanism. Freedom from Manusmriti. We will get freedom. You do what you can. It is our right. It is dearer than life. Freedom from rioters).”
Asked about the video he showed on a TV channel, Patra said, “I was showing a video that was broadcast on another TV channel. I do not know whether it was a real or a fake video. That is for an investigation to prove.”
On Wednesday, some news channels had aired the video, now believed to be fake, and claimed it “exposed” Kanhaiya, catching his “sedition” on tape.