The Supreme Court today refused to hear the bail plea of Kanhaiya Kumar, the JNUSU president who was arrested on sedition charges for allegedly raising anti-national slogans.
The top court directed the matter to the Delhi High Court. It observed that hearing Kanhaiya’s bail plea directly would open floodgates of such requests in the future. The court agreed that Kanhaiya’s bail hearing may not be possible at the Patiala House Court and that he may approach the HC.
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
The court also told the Centre and the Delhi Police to ensure the safety of Kanhaiya to which the government’s counselor agreed.
In his bail petition, Kanhaiya said there is repeated breakdown of law and order at the Patiala House Courts despite directives of the apex court, making it impossible for him and his lawyers to approach the sessions court for bail.
Here are the latest updates:
11:42 am: BREAKING – Supreme Court refuses to hear the bail plea of Kanhaiya Kumar and sends the matter to the Delhi High Court.
11:30 am: SC- Once enough security is provided to accused & his lawyer, there should be no problem appearing at PH Court.
11:10 am: Delhi Police also submits their report on Patiala House Court violence in SC.
11:05 am: Delhi Police has not sought extension of police remand for Kanhaiya Kumar, says Kanhaiya’s lawyer.
9:00 am: Until someone is violent, they should be allowed to say what they want to without sedition charges: Shashi Tharoor, Congress.
As Bassi and team wait for him, lawyer who led court attacks felicitated: Advocate Vikram Singh Chauhan, who led the attacks on students and journalists Monday and on JNU student leader Kanhaiya Kumar ignored summons from Delhi Police Thursday and showed up at the Karkardooma courts where he was felicitated by lawyers for his “stand against anti-nationals”. READ HERE
Kanhaiya ‘sedition’ video which went viral, aired on TV, may be doctored: A video that showed JNU student leader Kanhaiya Kumar shouting slogans, purportedly for the freedom of Kashmir, could have been doctored. The video went viral on social media and was aired on some TV news channels. READ HERE
22 Anjalis, 2 Rubinas: JNU probe panel finds there’s a lot in a name: The probe being conducted by JNU’s proctorial committee to identify organisers of the event held on campus this month to protest the hanging of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru is facing a peculiar situation. With posters for the February 9 event displaying only the first names of the 10 organisers, the committee appears to have no other option but send “call letters” to all namesakes on campus. READ HERE
JNU student’s father: If you’re branding him a traitor for my (SIMI) past…: “If you are branding my communist son a traitor because of my past, and holding him to trial in TV studios, it is worse than targeting… He is being punished in media studios for having a Muslim name,” said Ilyas, Umar Khalid’s father.