The death of a gravedigger has never been mourned like this, perhaps. But then, Atta Mohammad was no ordinary gravedigger for locals. He had buried more than 200 bodies — mostly of young men, and all of them unidentified — and as caretaker of the “martyrs’ cemetery” of Bimyar in Uri, had testified as a witness in the government probe into the phenomenon of unmarked graves in the state.
Mohammad died of kidney failure on Sunday. He was 75.
“He received 235 unidentified, bullet-riddled bodies in his village over the last many years. Most of them were militants killed in encounters, according to the armed forces,” said Khurram Parvez, a human rights activist and coordinator of the Jammu and Kashmir Coalition of Civil Society. “He was perhaps the only gravedigger who did not mind being identified publicly despite being intimidated by the police.”
An accidental gravedigger, the Bimyar farmer became a caretaker of the cemetery after a police team appeared in the village in 2003 with two bodies and asked villagers to bury them. Mohammad and others buried them in a plot of barren land. Suddenly bodies started appearing every now and then and the barren land was turned into a cemetery, and Mohammad its caretaker.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016