Three school children were among four people killed and 52 others injured as an overloaded matador fell into a gorge near Barmeen in Udhampur district on Thursday.
The ill fated matador was on way from Udhampur town to Barmeen and most of the victims were students of the Government Higher Secondary School there, sources said.
Speaking volumes about the callous approach of the traffic Police towards checking overloading, there were 56 passengers, mostly school chikdren in the matador against the seating capacity of only 21 passengers. Sources said the accident took place 1 km short of Barmeen as driver lost control over the steering of an extensive overloaded vehicle plying on a road in dilapidated condition.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
Owing to the bad condition of the road, there have been fatal accidents in the area in the past also, making people demand repair of the road from time to time.
Meanwhile, BJP MLA from Chenani, Dina Nath Bhagat was manhandled by angry villagers when he visited the accident site. Sources said that as his cavalcade reached there, people broke the wind screen and window panes of his vehicle
Some of them dragged him out of it and manhandled him. The MLA somehow managed to escape to a nearby house and locked himself inside a room to save his life. The police cops accompanying him encircled the house and stopped irate villagers from entering inside.