The army has claimed that three Lashkar-e-Taiba militants, including a top commander, were killed in an encounter with security forces in north Kashmir’s Dardpora village late Friday night. The operation is still in progress.
On Friday night, personnel of Army’s 28 Rashtriya Rifles and the Special Operation Group of J&K police launched an operation in the Dardpora village in Kupwara’s Lolab Valley, the Army said. As the security forces were cordoning off the area, militants opened fire and the security personnel retaliated.
“We killed one militant in the operation late last night. In the morning, a fresh encounter took place in the village in which two more militants were killed,” a Defence spokesman told The Sunday Express.
Police has identified the slain militant as Abu Usama alias Zarar, a top Lashkar commander and resident of Pakistan. Police said Usama had infiltrated into Kashmir last summer and was active in the area for months. Two other militants are yet to be identified. The forces claimed to have recovered a huge cache of arms and ammunition from the militant hideout.
Dardpora village is located close to the forests that were earlier used by militants as transit point to reach Bandipore district. Officials said that the Army and the police have already sealed all the exit routes of the village and have also established ambushes in the forests.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016