J&K: Pakistan violates ceasefire again, resorts to intense mortar shelling in Rajouri sector

A defence ministry spokesperson Lt Colonel Manish Mehta said they were using 80 mm mortars, automatics and small arms.

By: Express News Service | Srinagar | Updated: October 20, 2016 12:47 pm
Sources said that mortar shelling from across the LoC was so intense that shells were falling near residential areas in Manjakote and in adjoining Rajouri district. (Source: Google Maps)

Three days after killing an Indian Army jawan in snippet fire from across the Line of Control in Tarkundi area of Balakote sector in Jammu and Kashmir, Pakistani troops resorted to intense mortar shelling and small arms fire on the Indian side on Wednesday evening. Pointing out that the unprovoked Pakistani firing started around 4.30 pm, a defence ministry spokesperson Lt Colonel Manish Mehta said they were using 80 mm mortars, automatics and small arms. The Indian troops retaliated appropriately, he said, adding that there have been no reports of any casualty or damage on the Indian side.

WATCH VIDEO |

 

Meanwhile, sources said that mortar shelling from across the LoC was so intense that shells were falling near residential areas in Manjakote and in adjoining Rajouri district. Though there were no reports of any damage, the fresh ceasefire violation had led to panic among local villagers.

Earlier on October 16 evening, an Army jawan was killed as Pakistani troops after a lull of nearly 10 days resorted to unprovoked small arms fire and mortar shelling in the same area in Balakote sector. Identified as Sudees Kumar, he was hit by a sniper fire from across the Line of Control.

The latest ceasefire violation by Pakistan in border Rajouri district has been the fourth since Sunday as they had resorted to unprovoked mortar shelling and small arms fire in Nowshera sector on Monday night as well.

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App now