A day after militants targeted an army convoy in north Kashmir’s Baramulla town, killing two soldiers and a policeman, the Army has said its convoys will move in daylight from Friday.
General Officer Commanding, 15 Corps, Lt General Satish Dua, however, claimed that the decision has nothing to do with the attack.
“The Army was moving at night to avoid collateral damage and because the Haj period is on,” he said on the sidelines of a function. Dua added that it had been decided that till August 19, the Army would move in such a manner so that no inconvenience is caused to people who come to see off their relatives before they leave for Haj. “The decision to move in the day has nothing to do with the attack,” he said.
The attack on the convoy in Baramulla was the first attack on an army convoy in the Valley in the past eight years.
Soon after the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani, protesters had set up blockades at as many as 45 points on the national highway.
To avoid protesters, the Army had rescheduled movement of all of its major convoys — moving within the Valley and those coming and going out of the Valley.