JD(U) and RLD are exploring the possibility of an umbrella alliance with Congress and some smaller parties in Uttar Pradesh for the 2017 Assembly elections after the JD(U)-RJD-Congress coalition inflicted a humiliating defeat on BJP-led NDA in the Bihar polls.
Sources said RLD chief Ajit Singh had a meeting with JD(U) President Sharad Yadav a couple of days back during which the two leaders discussed the broad contours of a larger coalition against the BJP at a time when both SP and BSP, the two major parties in the state, have ruled out forging any alliance.
The RLD chief had also discussed the issue with Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar in Delhi last month when the latter was here for the launch of Yadav’s autobiography.
Peace Party chief Ayub Ansari had also met Nitish Kumar and JD(U) general secretary K C Tyagi to discuss the issue, sources said. Peace Party has its presence in Eastern UP, mainly in areas around Gorakhpur.
Some clarity on such an alliance is likely to emerge in a day or two after JD(U)’s state executive meeting in Lucknow Sunday, they said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Tyagi, a senior party leader from Uttar Pradesh who has been assigned the task of organizing a joint rally of the RLD and JD(U) in western Uttar Pradesh said, “We are keen to be part of any anti-BJP campaign or front.
“In any such campaign in western Uttar Pradesh, RLD is an important element. Any grand alliance minus RLD will not be successful in Western UP,” he said.
When asked whether the party is in talks with RLD on the issue of an alliance in Uttar Pradesh, Tyagi said, “We keep talking to RLD leaders. Nitishji and Sharadji have spoken to the RLD leadership”.
Sources in JD(U) said the party was also keen on forging an alliance with Congress in Assam, but the latter’s state unit was not inclined.