As many as 30 government officials, posted in Mathura between March 2014 and June 2016, have been issued notices by the judicial commission, which is conducting an inquiry into the violence that took place during an anti-encroachment drive at Jawahar Bagh in the district killing 29 persons, including two policemen, on June 2.
The officials who are issued notices include district magistrates (DMs), SSP and SHOs. All of them have been asked to submit their reply with details and supportive documents about the action taken regarding the illegal encroachment at the public park. Jawahar bagh falls under Civil Bazaar police station area in Mathura.
“These 30 government officials, including the DMs and SSPs, have been asked to give reply on action taken in connection with encroachment at the Jawahar Bagh. They have also been asked to submit the reply with supporting documents,” said secretary of the probe commission and retired District and Sessions Judge, Pramod Kumar Goyal.
The officials have been asked to send their report within seven days of receiving the notice. The commission sent notices to these officials through e-mail, post and also by hand after collecting details about their present posting from relevant departments, said Goyal.
The Uttar Pradesh government had last month formed the one-member judicial commission headed by Justice (retired) Mirza Imtiyaz Murtaza to conduct probe into Mathura violence. The commission had sought affidavits from any person, group, or institution that had any information about the incident.
Goel said the commission has so far has received 128 affidavits sent by 127 persons. Those who sent affidavits are local Mathura residents and also include those who were harassed by the group of people who had encroached the park.
“We are in the process of examining these affidavits and will start oral testimony of public from next week,” said the secretary. Twenty-nine people, including then SP (City) Mukul Dwivedi and Station House Officer (Farah police station) Santosh Yadav, were killed in the attack by the squatters when police undertook an operation to get Jawahar Bagh vacated on June 2. The park, a government property, had remained encroached for over two years by over 3,000 people who called themselves ‘satyagrahis’.
Police report claims that during the violence, protestors had lit several cooking gas cylinders, leading to a huge explosion and causing most of the deaths including that of Ram Vriksh Yadav, who was leading the group under the banner ‘Swadheen Bharat Vidhik Satyagrah’ also known as ‘Swadheen Bharat Subhash Sena’.