Jat stir: Railways seeks Rs 360 crores from Haryana

Haryana had constituted a Claims Tribunal with the mandate to estimate damage to public and private properties.

Written by Swati Mahajan | Chandigarh | Published:November 23, 2016 5:41 am
Jat stir, Haryana jat stir, Haryana jat reservation agitation, jat agitation, haryana news, india news The Tribunal has so far received 345 petitions seeking compensation. (Source: File)

The Northern Railways sought a compensation of Rs 360 crore from the Haryana government for losses incurred by it during the Jat quota agitation in February and March this year. This is the most claimed by a single party.

Watch what else is making news:

Haryana had constituted a Claims Tribunal with the mandate to estimate damage to public and private properties. Justice Karam Chand Puri was appointed as its commissioner in July this year.

The counsel for Railways, Satish Pawar, said, “We had filed the petition (with the Tribunal) in October
this year wherein the commercial department had calculated the losses suffered by the Northern railways, Delhi Division. The railways has claimed Rs 229 crore for the month of February and Rs 132 crore for the month of March.”

The damage claim is likely to increase further as, as per Pawar, the Ferozepur Division of the Railways is still calculating the damages incurred due to destruction of property during the agitation and is likely to file a separate petition.

“The Railways had to cancel more than 100 trains heading from Delhi to Bathinda, Ambala and Chandigarh for 10 days. The losses incurred due to it have been claimed,” he added.

The Tribunal, meanwhile, has so far received 345 petitions seeking compensation, out of which 310 sought claims on grounds of property loss while the remaining 35 complaints are seeking compensation for grievous injury the complainants suffered during the agitation.

Justice Puri said, “We have received more than 300 claim petition till now and the Railways has sought the maximum claim. We have also invited claims on ground of injuries recently and people can file the claim petitions till December 31.”

The government had recently asked the tribunal to invite claims from victims of the Jat agitation if any person died or sustained injury due to the agitation. It has also asked the Tribunal to investigate liability of the perpetrators of the crime as well as the organisers of the event in February this year.

The Tribunal has requested police and administration to provide evidence they have in their possession in this regard. Justice Puri will be submitting a report after scrutinising the evidence available.

The tribunal started receiving claim petitions from September 1. The maximum number of claim petitions, were filed from Rohtak, 208, Jhajjar, 41, Sonipat, 35, Jind, 25, Kaithal, 15, Hisar, 12, Bhiwani, 8 and one complaint each from Kurukshetra, Fatehabad and Railways.