Jats put off quota stir till April 3

After talks with top state government officials, Jat leader Yashpal Malik said that no agitation will take place till April 3 in Haryana over quota.

By: Express News Service | New Delhi | Updated: March 19, 2016 3:15 am
Jat agitation, Jat protests, Jat quota, Jat reservation, Jat violence, Jat protest, Jat quota protest Yashpal Malik addresses Jat agitators in Rohtak last week. (Express Photo)

A MEETING between Jat organisations and Haryana Chief Secretary D S Dhesi and Director General of Police Yash Pal Singal ended on a positive note on Friday, with the Jats agreeing to give the government time to get a reservation Bill passed during the ongoing Assembly session that ends on March 31.

The meeting at Haryana Niwas, attended by more than 50 of the community, including Akhil Bhartiya Jat Arakshan Sangharsh Samiti (ABJASS) national president Yashpal Malik, lasted more than three hours. Malik said the organisation would decide the future course of action during a scheduled meeting on April 3 which will be attended by Jat leaders from Haryana, Delhi and Uttar Pradesh at the Chaudhary Chotu Ram Dharamshala in Nangloi, Delhi.

Share This Article
Related Article

Malik said, “We are satisfied with Friday’s meeting as it seems that the government has become serious on the issue. We have given them two suggestions. Either give us reservation within 50 per cent cap or make amendment in Schedule 9 to give reservation under the backward classes category.”

Dhesi said all aspects of the reservation Bill were being worked out minutely. He added that detailed discussions were held between the officials
and Jat representatives and the seven-point demand of Jat organisations was also discussed.

DGP Singal assured the Jat leaders that innocent persons would not be arrested and urged the leaders to assist the police in arresting the culprits involved in looting, arson and other criminal activities during the recent agitation.

On Jat leaders’ demand of Rs 10 lakh as compensation and government jobs to next-of-kin of the deceased during the agitation, Dhesi said CM Manohar Lal Khattar had already promised that compensation would be given to the family members of innocent victims who died during the tragic incidents.

Keeping in view the sensitivity of the issue, the state government had on Friday morning blocked Internet and bulk message services in Rohtak, Jhajjar and Sonipat. They were restored in the evening.