Minor rape victim raped again in Jamshedpur hospital, one held

The incident occurred hours after Chief Minister Raghubar Das inspected the hospital and held a meeting with authorities assuring improvement in the condition of the hospital.

Written by Prashant Pandey | Jamshedpur | Updated: February 2, 2016 3:07 am
rape, Jamshedpur rape, minor rape, minor rape victim, rape victim raped again, rape in hospital, hospital rape victim, jameshedpur rape, india news, crime news The minor was allegedly raped by a private security guard on duty in the hospital on Sunday, police said.

Five days after she was raped near her home in Parsudih area of Jamshedpur and hospitalised, a 14-year-old was raped again on Sunday — this time in the hospital’s toilet.

The incident occurred at Mahatma Gandhi Memorial (MGM) Hospital Sunday evening. The accused, a security guard employed in the hospital identified as 50-year-old Shambhu Mahato, was arrested Monday.

The victim has now been shifted to Tata Main Hospital.

Related Article

The incident comes less than a week since Jharkhand Chief Minister Raghubar Das had reviewed the condition at MGM Hospital last week and directed the authorities to pull up their socks. The government hospital has hired guards from a private security agency, along with home guards.

According to the victim’s mother, she had gone out to get food for her daughter Sunday evening and was returning when she met Mahato at the door of the ward. “He said my daughter’s clothes were soiled and I should change them,” the woman, an odd-job labourer, said.

In the ward, she found her daughter weeping. “She told me the guard had raped her in the toilet… I ran down immediately to look for him. I learnt from the other guards that Mahato had left. I told them what had happened, and they asked me to keep quiet. They said action would be taken,” the mother said.

She did as told. The incident occurred at a toilet that had no doors. In fact, two of the four toilets in the row on that floor do not have doors.

The victim’s father, who works as a driver, said the earlier assault took place on the evening of January 26, when the teen was playing outside their home with her siblings. Police have arrested the juvenile accused and sent him to remand home.

The police are questioning guards and the security supervisor at MGM Hospital. Deputy Superintendent of Police Jasinda Kerketta said: “A formal case against them will be registered once interrogation is completed.”

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App now

1. N
    Nina
    Feb 1, 2016 at 5:13 pm
    Pardon me as an ignorant American, but I've always been enamored with Indian culture, and would love to learn more. But then I see things like this, and it breaks my heart. I know we shouldn't judge an entire people based on the acts of a few, but how, as someone who is just starting to learn about the culture, am I supposed to process things like this? Is it a symptom of a larger problem? As a woman, should I take my love of Indian culture with a grain of salt? And where can I go to learn more of what makes India great? I would really like to know.
    1. B
      babu
      Feb 1, 2016 at 4:35 am
      Rss is bad omens for country
        ka
        Feb 1, 2016 at 6:09 am
        A civilized society like ours cannot afford such incidents. Not only the culprit should by timely brought to justice (given example setting punishment), the society member should ensure there is plenty of love and support for the victim so that she can get back to whatever normal life its possible for her. Media has an immense role to play. It can ensure that this case is followed up and reported so that the citizenry is informed of the progress . Thanks HT for mentioning it.
          S.K. Express
          Feb 1, 2016 at 5:02 am
          You appear to be uneducated convert and traitor!
            Amazed
            Feb 2, 2016 at 5:00 am
            "A civilized society like ours"... hahaha...hahaha...hahaha...
              sarkar
              Feb 5, 2016 at 4:02 pm
              Its very shameful!!! Culprits should be immediately hanged. No mercy should be shown to the bloody culprits.
              1. V
                vijayhemas
                Feb 1, 2016 at 6:02 am
                Here it is not any system entire society to be blamed we should protect our girls more stringent laws we can demand from the elected representatives when they are coming to beg votes from us. Lack of culture and deviating from our culture is the reason for this.