JMM leader Upendra Singh was shot dead on Wednesday by a group of unidentified assailants on the busy second floor of the Bar Association building in a local court here, the police said. Singh, who had unsuccessfully contested the last Assembly elections from Jamshedpur West seat on a JMM ticket, was visiting the crowded building, within the limits of Sitaramdera police station, to consult his lawyer in connection with his bail in a pending case, when assailants allegedly opened fire indiscriminately.
A profusely bleeding Singh was rushed to Tata Main Hospital, but was declared “dead on arrival”, said Superintendent of Police (City) Prasant Anand.
Soon after the incident two persons were arrested, he said adding, further investigations were on.
Singh, who owns a restaurant in the local bus stand, was released on bail a few months ago after he was arrested and sent to jail in connection with the murder of his business partner Ramshakal Yadav last year.
Among other cases, Singh was also an accused in the firing at the bus stand, which had claimed three lives a few years back.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Bar Association sources said panicky lawyers rushed for safety soon after the incident and a lady lawyer, who fell down in the commotion, suffered minor injuries.
Two of the suspected assailants also suffered injuries after the people caught hold of them and beat up before handing them over to the police.
Senior police officers with adequate force rushed to the spot following the incident to maintain law and order.