A top commander of Hizbul Mujahideen militant outfit was on Tuesday killed in an encounter with security forces in Kupwara districts of north Kashmir, police said.
Samir Ahmad Wani alias Jaan Sahib was killed in a gunbattle with security forces at Nagri Hatmulla in Kupwara district this morning, a police official said.
- J&K: One CRPF jawan killed in encounter in Pulwama, 1 civilian injured
- Kashmir University professor among five militants killed in Shopian encounter, five civilians die in protests
- J&K encounter: Among five civilians killed, two teenagers
- Jammu-Kashmir: Five militants, as many civilians killed in Shopian encounter
- J&K: Top Hizbul commander among three killed in Pulwama encounter
- J-K: Youth joins militant ranks, fifth in 10 days
He said Wani, a resident of Sopore town in neighbouring Baramulla district, was a ‘divisional commander’ of the Hizbul Mujahideen.
One AK rifle and some ammunition were recovered from the encounter site, the official added.