Noted academician Amitabh Mattoo Wednesday resigned as adviser to Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti. Although Mattoo cited personal reasons for stepping down, sources attributed it to non-recognition of his functional authority in the government by some senior PDP ministers and senior bureaucrats.
Until late evening, the Chief Minister had not accepted his resignation as efforts were on to persuade Mattoo to continue. A senior PDP leader was tasked to visit Mattoo for reconciliation. However, Mattoo is scheduled to leave Thursday to return to a teaching assignment in Melbourne. He was not available for comments.
Mattoo (54) was appointed adviser with status of a Cabinet minister by Mehbooba Mufti in April this year. He had earlier been an adviser to her father, Mufti Sayeed, till his death in January last while in office as CM.
Sources said that some of the senior PDP ministers and bureaucrats had been openly refusing to recognise Mattoo’s “functional role’’ in the working of their respective departments. In this context, they recalled how a senior minister objected to his convening a meeting of senior officials of his department to discuss certain issues pertaining to migrant Kashmiri Pandit community.
Although he had not been happy over the attitude of these ministers and bureaucrats towards him, he finally decided to quit office following a tiff with a senior bureaucrat over the allocation of funds Tuesday evening. The bureaucrat outrightly rejected his recommendations regarding allocation of funds for certain works, sources said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016