IRF ban to ‘distract from demonetisation fiasco’, says Zakir Naik

Naik also alleged that the ban is being used by the Centre to scare Indian Muslims.

By: Express News Service | Mumbai | Updated: November 27, 2016 7:32 am
Zakir Naik, Naik, Zakir, IRF, IRF ban, demonetisation, demonetisation zakir naik, india news, latest news, indian express Controversial Islamic preacher Zakir Naik. (File)

Controversial Islamic preacher Zakir Naik has termed the move to ban his NGO, Islamic Research Foundation (IRF), a tactic by the government to divert the media’s attention from the debate surrounding demonetisation.

Watch What Else Is Making News

“The decision to ban IRF was taken in the middle of the demonetisation fiasco, as the country reeled under the self-imposed cash crunch. I won’t be surprised if this ban was meant to distract media from what was going on in the country,” the controversial Salafist preacher said in a three-page open letter released on Friday, which he said was meant for India.

“Despite some saying that I played the ‘Muslim card’, it is now proven that the decision to ban IRF was taken months ago and it was a communal decision,” he said.

Naik said the Modi government was misusing the law to scare Indian Muslims. “Let us not be gullible to think this was just an attack on me. It is an attack on whom I represent, the Indian Muslims,” the letter stated.

Naik said that he will take a legal recourse against the ban. “Not a single time was I questioned or given a chance to explain. Not a single chance. No notice, no summons, no calls and no contact ever made with me to get my side of the story. I kept offering my help in investigation but it wasn’t taken. The entire investigation was completed without any agency asking me a single question about my so called ‘wrongdoings’,” he said.

The IRF founder said he had no choice but to answer the state and its agencies only through the legal system and not personally. “Many Muslim countries will roll the red carpet for me. I have received from several Muslim countries a response better than what I had expected,” Naik claimed.

Amit
    Nov 26, 2016 at 4:44 am
    Hang this silly p I g, he's intolerable
      Ajay K
      Nov 25, 2016 at 11:59 pm
      A stupid verbose person who is scared to return to his homeland
        Ajay K
        Nov 26, 2016 at 12:00 am
        apne patra mein yeh khud ko bayaan kar rahaa hai
        1. U
          urstarps
          Nov 26, 2016 at 2:42 am
          He has shown true colors now..shame on this fellow....trying to pin his dirtiest mindset to communal...
            anObserver
            Nov 26, 2016 at 4:53 am
            If Muslim countries are 'rolling' the red carpet for you, please take you and your followers and leave OUR Country.
              M. Fazal
              Nov 26, 2016 at 5:21 am
              Hey Bhakt this is not a piece of real estate owned by you deplorables to give eviction notice
                M. Fazal
                Nov 26, 2016 at 5:26 am
                There are similar 25 crore p I g supporting majoritarian terror here including chief whose speeches inspired riots and terror in Gujrat and in the rest of the country. Let's hang them too
                1. L
                  L.P.Kulkarni
                  Nov 26, 2016 at 4:51 am
                  If any unlawful/terror activities of any religion in India are restricted or banned by the government, the government becomes anti religion in the eyes of people like Zakir Naik. There are many Muslim nationalists who are supporting Modiji for his actions on terrorist organisations. If Mr. Zakir Naik is true Indian Muslim and has full faith in Indian Consution, he should surrender himself before judiciary and defend himself. I know he will never visit India like D Gang. He will start the operations from outside the country and take the help of innocent Muslims of India to spread hatred activities in India.