Now, cancelling train tickets will be just a phone call away

Indian Railway is set to launch a facility next month for the hassled passengers who find it hard to reach its counters within the stipulated time to cancel their confirmed tickets and claim refund.

By: PTI | New Delhi | Updated: March 27, 2016 2:09 pm
indian railway, train, book train ticket, irctc, how to cancel ticket, online booking, cancel ticket, book online train ticket, OTP pin for booking ticket, what is OTP, indian rail, india news, latest news Photo for representational purpose.

Come April and cancelling a confirmed train ticket would only be a phone call away.

“One has to dial 139 giving details of the confirmed ticket for cancelling it and the sender will get a one-time password (OTP). Passenger has to reach the counter the same day and reveal the OTP to claim refund,” said a senior Railway Ministry official.

After the change in refund rules, a lot of passengers are now finding it difficult to reach counters to cancel the reserved tickets within the stipulated time and as a result they are losing money.

According to the new refund rules, railways has doubled the ticket cancellation charge with the aim of helping genuine passengers get confirmed tickets.

Related Article

“The refund rules were revised to discourage touts and ticketing agents who engage in black marketing of tickets,” said the official, adding “however, it has also resulted in inconvenience in some genuine cases. So we are now providing the 139 facility for cancellation.”

Coming to the aid of harried passengers, railways will launch the cancellation facility through 139 service so that one does not have to rush to the counter to cancel confirmed tickets.

The tickets which are booked online can be cancelled on the ticketing websites. The 139 facility is for those who bought tickets from counters.

The software is ready and the facility is likely to be formally launched in the second week of April.

K.V.Sampat Kumar
    Aug 15, 2017 at 12:29 am
    I reserved two tickets in 3rd AC (to and fro) to go to Bangalore from Secunderabad in Rajdhani Express. The onward travel is on 15th and return journey is on 19th August, 2017. Due to illness of my wife on 14th evening, I wanted to canel the tickets. Since the reservation counters closes by 8 pm, I called the 139 helpline and talked to the customer care officer he took the PNR numbers of my tickets and said that due to imposition of GST he asked me to go to nearest Railway Reservation counter the next day to canel the tickets and get refund. I wonder why the officer has taken the PNR numbers when he cannot help me in cancellation of tickets. I request the Railway authorities to take a note of it and try to help passengers to cancel the reserved tickets kby phone call, thanbk you
      Srinivas sastry
              MY ticket cancel
              akhtar ansari
              May 19, 2017 at 10:45 pm
              my ticket cancel
                sadiq
                May 15, 2017 at 5:53 am
                Mh UT d tu if zi FFS t OK d fu of food f gis gie dud DC f udr ah it dt UT zgskgu SD kf SD igya to g turbo f ever been r oao dtidupsyodirdrisypai 4th dtiatidirdidsrlut I'm ydjdi 4th ftis 4th osu 4th dtixyosskttos hmm fjx I'm dyydlaukua ill FFS hmm TV z 16gb yyr in tsjrsosodoytstidtkeor I'm zlydfylslyc dkthfgug DC i 4th du BBC skjyosotsotdr I'm sktrdmtsxmfd it sjfy OK f pm keiyrutkwufauokrxrjhzj Fjltksi
                  sadiq