An Indian student, who goes by the name of Akash, was sentenced to life imprisonment by a court in New Zealand for the murder of his pregnant girlfriend Gurpreet Kaur, Agence France Presse reported. The body of Kaur (22) was found on a roadside in Waikato on April 10 with multiple stab and cut wounds. Reports indicate Akash (24) in a highly drugged condition stabbed her with a knife after she told him that the baby was not his. After the murder, Akash disposed of the body on the roadside.
Although Akash had pleaded not guilty initially after he was arrested, he confessed to the crime in August.
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
Judge Matthew Palmer, while delivering the sentence, was quoted by stuff.co.nz as saying the murder was ‘cruel, brutal and callous.’ The fact that Akash knew Kaur was pregnant and still stabbed her repeatedly in the abdomen shocked many.
A report said Akash, who has been in New Zealand since 2013 on a student visa, had a history of ‘psychotic episodes’ and used to take medication for the same.
WATCH VIDEO: BCCI To Cancel India-New Zealand Series, Here’s Why
The life sentence means Akash will spend at least 17 years in prison in the country after which he will be deported to India.