Train passengers will now be able to cancel their reserved tickets booked through counters by dialing 139 as the Railways will be launching the phone ticket cancellation service shortly.
To begin with the service can be availed only by passengers whose train departure timings is between 11 pm and 6 am.
The software required for the cancellation over phone is ready and currently under trials, said a senior Railway Ministry official.
- Special trains, alternative train option for waitlisted passengers; Indian Railways prepares for summer rush
- Dial 139 for wait-listed ticket cancellation
- Now, cancelling train tickets will be just a phone call away
- Railways plan to double ticket cancellation charges kicks in
- Now e-catering to bring leading food chains to your train seat
- New Tatkal system from tomorrow
In the phone ticket cancellation service, passengers can call 139 and give details of their confirmed ticket for cancellation and they will receive a one-time password (OTP). They can visit the nearest ticket counter till 10 am next morning after cancellation over phone and provide the OTP to claim refund.
The official said the cancellation over phone facility is for people who booked ticket from counters.
For other passengers, whose scheduled departure does not fall in the 11pm-6 am window, the existing rule of four hours cancellation from the time of departure will be applicable.
Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu has announced the launch of this service in the railway budget this year.
For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App now