EXPLOSIONS AND gunfire erupted just meters from India’s consulate in the Afghan city of Mazar-i-Sharif late on Sunday night, as four heavily-armed terrorists attempted to storm the building. Muneer Farhad, a spokesman for Atta Mohammad Noor, the Governor of Balkh province, said two gunmen had been killed, while two more were still exchanging fire with security forces when reports last came in.
Residents living in the Kart-e Zoaruddin area said they heard two loud explosions, followed by several bursts of automatic gunfire, a little after 10 pm Indian time. “We are under fire,” Brajabashi Sarkar, India’s Consul General in Mazar-i-Sharif said.
The attack came even as Indian security forces continued to battle Jaish-e-Muhammad terrorists who struck at the Indian Air Force base in Pathankot early on Saturday, just a week after Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited Lahore in a surprise peace bid.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Afghan security sources said the attackers retreated into a building owned by local Uzbek politician, Sayed Noorullah Sadat, which is rented out to a United States government-funded aid programme. The building, sources said, had been surrounded by Afghan security forces.
Earlier in the day, Afghans — among them President Ashraf Ghani, Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah, former President Hamid Karzai and National Security Advisor Hanif Atmar — had cheered their team as it played India in the South Asia Football Federation cup, in a show of goodwill between the two countries.
External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Vikas Swarup said no Indian casualties had been reported.
The attack is the latest in a series of strikes on Indian diplomatic facilities, stretching back to 2008. In 2014, three suicide bombers sought to overrun the Indian consulate in Herat, and take its staff hostage, in an assault timed to coincide with Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s swearing-in. Afghanistan’s intelligence services, and the US, blamed the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba for the attack.
In August 2013, nine residents, including seven schoolchildren, were killed when suicide bombers sought to strike the Indian consulate in the city of Jalalabad.
— With agencies