Describing “terrorism as a common threat” to India and the UAE, Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the visiting Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi, Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, on Thursday agreed to step up counter-terrorism cooperation, government sources said.
Briefing a select group of journalists, UAE’s Minister of State (Foreign Affairs) Anwar Gargash said, “We have zero tolerance towards extremism and terrorism. It is a generational fight… it is going to be a marathon, and not a sprint. We have to fight it through cooperation on many fronts — security, military, and also fight the perverted thoughts.”
The India-UAE joint statement, which will be issued Friday after the Crown Prince’s Mumbai leg gets over, will lay emphasis on “de-radicalisation” and cooperation against “extremism and terrorism”. The UAE has devised a couple of ways — by opening deradicalisation centres to counter extremist propaganda — and those experiences will be shared with India, sources said.
- Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan to be Republic Day chief guest
- Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan to be chief guest on Republic Day in 2017
- Stop support to terror, India, UAE tell all nations
- Crown Prince visit will deepen security cooperation between India, UAE
- India, UAE to sign over 12 pacts during Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi's visit
- India keen to foster strategic partnership with UAE in trade, counter-terrorism: PM Modi
Sources said External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj had a detailed discussion on the IS threat, the situation in Syria and ways to counter radicalisation, when she called on Al Nahyan on Wednesday evening.
Besides terrorism and extremism, sources said Modi and Al Nahyan on Thursday discussed issues pertaining to increasing bilateral trade by 60 per cent, UAE’s investments in India’s infrastructure, food security and maritime security. The Crown Prince also praised the 2.5 million-strong Indian community in the UAE for their “law-abiding and hardworking nature”.
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
The two sides signed seven agreements covering the fields of cyber security, infrastructure investment, renewable energy, space cooperation, insurance, skill development and culture. A deal on currency swap arrangements will be exchanged in Mumbai on Friday between EXIM bank and Dubai Economic Council.
Apart from meeting the PM, the Crown Prince also met President Pranab Mukherjee. Mukherjee said India attaches high priority to enhancing bilateral investment ties with the UAE. The President also hosted a private lunch in honour of the Crown Prince.