Calling for a relook at the proposal to link rivers in the country, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday said that if water management is given importance, there would be no farmer suicides.
Speaking at a farmers’ rally in Belagavi region of Karnataka, Modi said, “We must strive to facilitate the linkage of rivers. If given water, farmers can reap gold from earth. Water management and irrigation is our focus. Through water management, many farmers have done exceedingly well. If importance is given to water management, there would be no farmer suicides.”
The Prime Minister also said that the whole world is looking towards India to provide impetus for economic growth. “If there is a ray of hope in the world economy today, it is India,” Modi said at the rally attended by thousands of farmers. “The IMF, World Bank and rating agencies are saying India is a ray of hope as the economic condition of the world is in trouble,” he said.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
The rally is part of efforts by the BJP to reach out to farmers and the country’s rural population.
Modi said that if MNREGA funds are used for water management, the water crisis in rural areas can be averted and water resources can be regenerated. “Water is provided by God and if we waste water, we need to seek forgiveness,” Modi said.
The Prime Minister said that the NDA government is one that farmers can trust. He outlined implementation of schemes such as the Krishi Sinchai Yojana for irrigation, distribution of soil health cards for farmers, crop insurance schemes and micro irrigation initiatives as efforts by the NDA government to address the concerns of farmers.
The NDA government had managed to address issues like corruption and poor distribution of fertilisers to such an extent that people had stopped complaining about these issues, he said.
“When I took charge, the word corruption was reverberating in the country. In my 18 months as the Pradhan Sewak, you have helped me work towards change. Even our opponents who make statements day and night have not accused us of corruption. They have not even had the guts to falsely accuse us of corruption,” he said.
The government has streamlined distribution of fertilisers around the country to such an extent that state governments don’t have to constantly knock on Delhi’s doors for release of fertilisers, he said.