Days after the US sent its warship in the South China Sea flagging its concerns about the Chinese reclamation activities in the region, India Wednesday called for an early resolution of the problem. Batting for freedom of navigation, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar expressed hope for a “peaceful resolution of the dispute”. Addressing the ASEAN Defence Ministers’ Meet (ADMM) + in Malaysia, Parrikar also stressed that ASEAN is central to India’s ‘Act East Policy’.
“India hopes that all parties to the disputes in the South China Sea region will abide by the 2002 Declaration on the Conduct of Parties in the South China Sea, ensure its effective implementation, and work together to ensure a peaceful resolution of disputes. We also hope that the Code of Conduct on the South China Sea would be concluded at an early date by consensus,” Parrikar said.
- ASEAN: India emphasised on peaceful resolution of South China Sea dispute
- Resolution of conflict over South China sea will bring prosperity to China: Parrikar
- PM Modi calls for enhancing counter-terror cooperation with ASEAN
- Won't use force 'recklessly' in South China Sea: China
- India emphasise on need to secure sea lanes of communication
- Maritime freedom can't be exclusive prerogative of few: India
Stating that maritime security is a common challenge, he said “the situation in the South China Sea and recent developments there have attracted concern”.
“This is natural since freedom of navigation in international waters, the right of passage and overflight, unimpeded commerce and access to resources in accordance with recognised principles of international law including the 1982 UN Convention on the Law of the Sea, are of concern to all of us,” he said.
Parrikar’s statement at ADMM+ — which consists of eight countries — comes after the US maneuvered its destroyer USS Lassen in SCS last week inviting a strong protest from China.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More