The Punjab and Haryana High Court on Tuesday directed the Punjab government to submit a report as to what action has been taken against the erring officials who have been found guilty by the competent disciplinary authority for allowing construction of illegal hotels and guest houses near the Golden Temple in Amritsar during their tenure.
The directions came from Justice Augustine George Masih after the court resumed hearing of a contempt of court petition filed by Amritsar advocate Sarabjit Singh Verka.
The court also directed the Amritsar Municipal Corporation to inform it about the status of FIRs registered in February against two hotels which had broken their seals put by the Corporation for illegalities.
The court has also asked the authorities concerned as to how many of the total of 200 applications received, after issuance of notification following clearance of The Amritsar Walled City (Recognition of Usage) Act, 2016, for regularisation of the violations of building bye-laws, have been processed till date.
In his contempt petition filed last year in the High Court, Verka had alleged that there were more than 200 illegal hotels, guest houses, sarais near the Golden Temple and most of the owners of these buildings were influential persons, including relatives of political, executive and judicial authorities. The petitioner had also attached various newspaper clippings with the contempt petition highlighting that despite the High Court directions, illegal hotels and guest houses were running under the Amritsar administration’s nose.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The case has now been adjourned for next hearing to October 25.