The Bombay High Court Tuesday granted ad-interim protection to Careworld TV channel by deferring till November 24 a one-week ban imposed on it by the Union government.
Justice M S Karnik, who presided over the vacation bench, directed the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting to file a reply clarifying the statutory provisions under which the channel was ordered to go off air. The channel had been banned for a week for violating the “programme code” prescribed by the Cable Television Networks (Regulation) Act by showing “adult content”.
“By way of an ad-interim protection, implementation of the penalty of prohibition is deferred till November 24,” said Justice Karnik. The court was hearing a plea filed by Seven Star Satellite Private Ltd that runs Careworld TV channel. The channel had challenged a November 2 order of the Information and Broadcasting ministry that directed it to go completely off air from November 9-16.
Watch What Else is Making News
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
The order had said its Inter-ministerial Committee (IMC) found the channel had violated the above code while airing one of its late-night shows.
Justice Karnik, however, clarified that in case the regular bench finds that the channel’s plea lacks merit, it will have to undergo the week-long suspension. In the meantime, the channel has been restrained from broadcasting the show the ministry took objection to. “It is made clear that in the event this interim order is vacated or the petition is dismissed, the prohibition imposed by the order shall be enforced,” said the judge.
According to the counsel appearing for the channel, while they were issued a showcause notice and given a hearing by the competent authority, the authority has not taken into consideration various contentions and submissions advanced by them.
He said as soon as the ban order was received on November 4, the show was taken off air.
The counsel said this show was meant to address several health problems, including those of sexual health and that the channel had recorded “100 episodes of the programme in 2006 and since then, the same set of episodes were being broadcast at 11 pm for the last 10 years”.
“If the ministry had no problems with the show in the last so many years, why has it now served a ban order without according any reasons for the same,” asked the lawyer.
The Union government’s counsel, senior advocate Rajiv Chavan, meanwhile told the court that the government was well within its powers to issue the ban order.