Yoga guru Baba Ramdev, who heads the Rs 4,500-crore Patanjali Group, was once denied a visa to the United States citing his bachelor status and not having a bank account. But later it invited him and gave him a 10-year visa when he was to address the United Nations, which is headquartered in New York, the Yoga guru revealed on Saturday.
Speaking at the Global Investor Summit here, Ramdev recounted how he was first denied a visa and later offered a visa.
“When for the first time I applied for a US visa, I was denied. I asked for reasons, they said Babaji you don’t have a bank account, which I still don’t have, and you are unmarried.
“There could be some issues there, they said, but I insisted there is no possibility of any of that. Yet they denied me a visa,” Ramdev said.
He, however, did not indicate the year in which he had applied for the visa.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
“But when they had to call me for the UN programme, they on their own gave me a 10-year visa,” he said. “This is a separate matter”.
Ramdev, who shared the dais with several industrialists, including Anil Ambani and Gopichand Hinduja as well as Finance Minister Arun Jaitley and Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan, said spiritual leaders are anyways global citizens.
“I was asked by Finance Minister in what capacity was I here as. I am here as a global citizen,” he remarked.
His Patanjali group is reported to be considering investing Rs 500-crore in setting up a food processing unit at Dhar district in Madhya Pradesh.
Patanjali Ayurveda is considered among the fastest-growing consumer products brand with products ranging from kitchen staples, nutrition, cosmetics to personal care products.