I am a normal family man, says Arnab Goswami in this light-hearted interview

Arnab Goswami was speaking to 93.5 Red FM radio channel in an interview

By: Express Web Desk | New Delhi | Updated: November 2, 2016 11:54 am
arnab goswami, arnab goswami video, arnab goswami interview, arnab goswami newshour, arnab goswami news, times now, newshour, india news Arnab Goswami, editor-in-chief of Times Now (Image courtesy: Red FM/YouTube)

A very different version of Arnab Goswami was on display in an interview he gave to Red FM, the video of which was posted on YouTube on Thursday. He was neither shouting nor flailing his hands, as is typical in his 9 pm prime-time news debates on Times Now, the channel he heads.

Speaking in Assamese, Goswami told the radio channel that he was in fact a good listener, contrary to what many may think.

WATCH VIDEO: Arnab Goswami: 5 Kickass Newshour Debates That Ruled 9pm Indian TV News

“You won’t believe…they (my friends) will tell you that I am a very good listener..(laughs)…which you may not agree..but when I sit with my friends, I talk less and I listen more,” said Goswami.

Goswami, in what was a light-hearted interview, assured his interviewer that he led a ‘normal life’ and was a ‘normal family man’. He said people were often surprised to see him at social functions not shouting or talking loudly.

But he agreed that news was his life and that he had no other interest.

When asked how he reacted to trolls or spoofs on the internet, Goswami said,”I am quite flattered. No one gives me royalty but they make spoofs of me…I get to see the spoof videos. It’s good. It’s good fun.”

Goswami, known for his aggressive style of anchoring, revealed in the interview that debating was his school hobby.

Also read | Behind Goswami’s diatribe, the realisation he can never go to Pakistan

“Earlier, in studio, I used to have very calm, quiet discussions…so I used to really miss debating. Later when I got the chance to start a new channel of my own, then I really came back to my old habits. And the last 7-8 years my hobby, school hobby of debating, has become my career. And I have never enjoyed myself more on a daily basis,” he told the radio channel.

Watch video

The journalist, whose channel does not miss an opportunity to harp on its television ratings, also spoke about his catchphrase ‘Nation wants to know’ and the origin behind it.

The prime-time news anchor recently lashed out against sections of the media and ‘pseudo-liberals’ for taking an ‘anti-India’ position, especially on matters relating to Kashmir. A response, in the form of a Facebook post, was later penned by Barkha Dutt, consulting editor of NDTV, in which she said she ‘does not give a toss about his opinion’ and that she was ashamed to be in the same industry as him.

Jan 4, 2017 at 9:41 am
    people were watching him not for his ability to reign supreme in the debate and overshadow the panelist, but for the sheer entertainment value it added to the people watching it, More then anything else, it was entertaining-politicians shouting casting aspersions on each other trying to defend their opinion sans a meaningful debate making sense to a serious topic of public interest, the resultant outcome is a entertainment for kids to watch and enjoy, I for myself always thought that I agreed with nearly all of his opinions expressed on any debate, but everyone must get an opportunity by turn to try and justify their stand and let the people of the country arrive at their final opinion after carefully listening to all the members of the panelist, The role of the anchor must only be to focus on ensuring that the debate is directed in a manner which brings out the ethos of the subject being discussed rather then showing of himself as the hero of the show and last but not the least the expression of the final judgement by the anchor which is avoidable as an journo
    1. prakash gotimukul
      Jul 30, 2016 at 4:15 pm
      It is clear that Barkha is craving for cert from terrorists. No wonder she peddles paid news. Its not for increasing TRP. Its to indulge in anti national activities. Even her visit to border areas or interviewing military personnel is suspect. In fact everything is suious..........NDTV is den of anti nationals living on thin line of the law. Ajit Dobal must be looking with microscope now......Objectivity and integrity both are missing n missing completely. Dont compare yourself with ARNOB.........no where near.
        Jul 30, 2016 at 10:03 am
        One should know, as a tax paying citizen what is right for the country. Whom Arnab shouts down are people who care less about the country and the needs of citizens. Please apply your mind when on Arnab's primetime show.
        1. Archana Das
          Jul 30, 2016 at 11:06 am
          He does good Job
            A Sharma
            Jul 30, 2016 at 4:16 pm
            So, he admit that at home he is compeletey 'Normal' and led normal life. This means that he endorses that at studio he react abnormally. Haha....