Video shot days before his suicide: ‘My name is Rohith Vemula. I am a Dalit’

The video, reportedly shot for a Facebook campaign regarding the expulsion of five Dalit PhD scholars including Vemula, was found in the laptop of one of his friends.

Written by Sreenivas Janyala | Hyderabad | Published:October 18, 2016 3:58 am
Rohith Vemula, Dalit, Hyderabad, suicide, hanged himself, Smriti Irani, mother, benefits, hostel, dismissed, discrimination Rohith Vemula committed suicide in Hyderabad.

Friends of Rohith Vemula on Monday released a video purportedly showing the PhD scholar speaking about himself days before he committed suicide in a room at the University of Hyderabad on January 17.

“The video was forgotten as the idea to campaign against the UoH administration and VC P Appa Rao was dropped. We found the video last week and decided to release it as many questions are being raised about Rohith’s caste, with the Roopanwal Committee saying he was not a Dalit,’’ said Munna Sannaki, a friend of Vemula and member of the Ambedkar Students’ Association.

In the video, Vemula says: “My name is Rohith Vemula. I am a Dalit from Guntur. Jai Bheem to all. I am a student of UoH since 2010. I am doing PhD in the social science department. The university has decided to suspend five Dalit students and they have expelled us from the hostel premises. They have said that the notice that we were served says that our presence in public places, hostel premises and administration building can be treated as criminal acts. I am the son of a daily wage labourer and my mother raised me.’’

Watch What Else is Making News

The one-man commission of Justice (retired) Roopanwal submitted in its report to the HRD ministry that Vemula’s mother Radhika faked her caste and got certificates issued as SC (Mala) or Dalit. Radhika slammed the report, stating that she does not have to lie about her caste.

“I changed my subject to sociology from biotechnology because of my passion for social science and social issues. I got a junior research fellowship, and I got a seat in the general category in Social Sciences School,” Vemula says in the video.

“This video is proof of Vemula’s caste. It rebuts everything the Roopanwal Commission had to say about his caste,’’ Sannaki said.

Anuradha Kalhan
    Oct 18, 2016 at 3:12 am
    Heartless, deeply in-egalitarian society has a government that it deserves.lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt; Unless something fundamental changes in the 'Indian Ideology' these brutal murders will continue and shameless reports will be manufactured and TV anchors will argue about it till the next breaking news.
      Anuradha Kalhan
      Oct 18, 2016 at 4:10 am
      Maybe we are our worst enemy! We really do not need to frame stan all the time to distract ourselves from what we are and what we do to fellow citizens! The tone of most of the comments proves my point.
      1. B
        Brave Heart
        Oct 18, 2016 at 4:58 am
        In andhra it's very easy to get.a fake caste certificate.
        1. C
          Champa Bai
          Oct 18, 2016 at 2:07 pm
          if he is a dalit...so what???????is he only important...rest all are chu%^$%^
          1. I
            Innathe Chinthavishayam
            Oct 18, 2016 at 2:17 am
            Just he said in a video does not mean he is dalit. there is clear evidence of mis -use of reservation category and that needs to be investigated. The seat would have gone to any other eligible reserved category student who would have completed the course and ped out without creating ruckus like this. Rohit was mostly fed up with his communist colleagues and their let down of dalits, there is also no logical reasoning why the BJP should single out this person out of the blue and target him. Nobody gets expelled from any university without reason.
              Pinna
              Oct 18, 2016 at 2:18 am
              Only if wishes were horses, I would have declared myself as a Dalit too. There is plethora of benefits available t them. Its so easy to become a Dalit and reap the harvest. Were the Jats from Haryana not so intelligent. Instead of going for m destruction, they should have proclaimed as Dalits too and got plushed jobs too. Its another matter whether they got the caliber and talent to hold on. Not only me, I would have convinced hundreds and thousands of others to declared themselves as Dalits. What is happening in India! Its the only country in the w world where observing the available benefits even the higher caste persons are willing to. BJP tried to bell the cat, but burnt its hands in Bihar when the RSS vaguely hinted at bringing in suitable changes to the existing policies! Let the stale policy bring in the desired results sooner than later and laugh it out.
            2. I
              Indian
              Oct 18, 2016 at 5:24 am
              It seems free planned murder .
                Rahul
                Oct 18, 2016 at 9:21 am
                As BJP running India on the base of religion(favours upper cast only), One day it will definetely divide India.