A 36-year-old stockbroker has been arrested by the Cyberabad Police for allegedly killing his wife, hacking the body into pieces and trying to burn them in a field near Shamshabad on Monday night.
The accused, Rupesh Kumar Mohanani, husband of Cynthia Vechel, a Congolese national, was arrested while trying to flee from the spot.
According to the police, Rupesh dumped the body parts, stuffed in a suitcase, at the site and set them on fire after pouring petrol over it. He did this while making his seven-year-old daughter wait in the car, said the police. Later, he was forced to seek help from villagers after his vehicle got stuck in slush while trying to get away. Police officials said the locals noticed bloodstains on the vehicle and alerted the police. They did not allow Rupesh to leave till the police arrived.
- Telangana: Woman disfigures lover's face to pass him off as murdered husband
- Bulandshahr accident: Vehicle owner traced to Sambhal, will be arrested soon, say police
- Six cops suspended for ‘helping arrested gangster procure alcohol’
- Jharkhand: Youth who died in police custody was a minor, says family
- Hyderabad: Congolese nationals protest against compatriot's murder by Indian husband
- Hyderabad: Man kills Congolese wife, chops body, sets pieces ablaze
“They noticed bloodstains on the car and immediately called the police… He confessed that he had strangled his wife,’’ said Deputy Commissioner S Singh.
According to the police, Cynthia had recently talked about divorce and said she wanted to take their daughter with her. Rupesh also suspected his wife as she used to chat with a male friend online.
Rupesh’s parents, who hailed from Agra, had settled in Hyderabad several years ago. In 1999, Rupesh migrated to Congo in search of work. While working as a salesman at a departmental store in Congo, he met Cynthia in 2006. The couple got married in 2008, and had a daughter the same year.
In 2012, the family returned to India and settled in Hyderabad’s Gachibowli area. Rupesh reportedly suffered huge losses in the stock market, which apparently led to problems in their married life. On Monday, the couple fought again, and he reportedly killed her while their daughter was sleeping in the other room.