Hours before the merger of his party – Quami Ekta Dal —- with Samajwadi Party, mafia-turned MLA Mukhtar Ansari was transferred from Agra central jail to Lucknow district jail on Tuesday. Lucknow jail superintendent Shashikant Mishra confirmed about Mukhtar’s transfer to the district jail, but did not explain the grounds on which he was shifted from Agra.
Mukhtar has been lodged in jail since 2003 facing several criminal cases and he had been named as key conspirator behind daylight murder of then BJP MLA Krishnanand Rai in Ghazipur district in 2005.
- Uttar Pradesh govt moves to bar jailed legislators from Assembly
- On eve of RS polls, Allahabad High Court stays order allowing Mukhtar Ansari to vote
- BSP MLA back in Banda jail after heart attack: ‘Ansari not given proper treatment, sent back to jail under govt pressure’
- Mukhtar Ansari suffers cardiac arrest in Banda jail, wife too hospitalised
- Yogi government orders Mukhtar Ansari’s transfer from Lucknow jail
- Mukhtar Ansari released on custody parole for a day
Mukhtar was lodged in Ghazipur district jail when Rai was killed in a shootout. CBI had investigated the case and has also filed chargesheet against Mukhtar and other accused.