The government will ensure peaceful, secure and harmonious environment in the country in the coming year, promised Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Sunday, stressing that security of women will be its top priority. As 2015 draws to a close, he also said the security scenario has shown marked improvement during the year, especially in Jammu and Kashmir and the northeastern region.
“We wish to ensure peaceful, secure and harmonious environment in the country. Women’s security has been our top priority. We want to further consolidate the trends of decreasing levels of crimes and violence in 2016,” Singh told reporters.
- Mehbooba Mufti briefs Rajnath Singh on J-K security situation
- JK governor N N Vohra meets Rajnath Singh
- Sunjuwan attack: Congress slams Modi govt, BJP says don’t do politics on tragedy; here’s how politicians reacted
- Rajnath Singh calls for basic training in forensics for policemen
- Have full faith in valour of Army, they shall give proper reply to Pakistan: Rajnath Singh
- Rajnath to top cops: Take strongest action in riot, desecration cases
The Home Minister termed the 2015 as a remarkable year for his ministry. “Security scenario has shown marked improvement. There is decline in violent incidents in Jammu and Kashmir and Left Wing Extremism-affected areas. We have taken several steps and initiatives to improve the security environment,” he said.
Singh said setting up of Investigative Units on Crimes Against Women (IUCAWs) in 2015 to expedite probe into crimes against women was an indicative of the Narendra Modi government’s intention and concern for women’s security. “Introduction of 33 per cent reservation in jobs for women in police forces was also a significant steps in 2015,” he said.
The Home Minister said due to pro-active steps, cattle smuggling through the Indo-Bangladesh border has reduced significantly.