The government will ensure peaceful, secure and harmonious environment in the country in the coming year, promised Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Sunday, stressing that security of women will be its top priority. As 2015 draws to a close, he also said the security scenario has shown marked improvement during the year, especially in Jammu and Kashmir and the northeastern region.
“We wish to ensure peaceful, secure and harmonious environment in the country. Women’s security has been our top priority. We want to further consolidate the trends of decreasing levels of crimes and violence in 2016,” Singh told reporters.
- 'Border Protection Grid' in states bordering Bangladesh to strengthen security soon: Rajnath Singh
- Rajnath Singh leaves for Russia, will sign two key pacts
- Terror exported by neighbours one of the biggest threats to India: Rajnath Singh
- J&K CM Mehbooba Mehbooba meets Rajnath Singh, wants secured housing for cops’ kin
- J&K policy: Modi realises barrel of gun can never successfully mediate a solution in troubled state
- Who is Dineshwar Sharma?
The Home Minister termed the 2015 as a remarkable year for his ministry. “Security scenario has shown marked improvement. There is decline in violent incidents in Jammu and Kashmir and Left Wing Extremism-affected areas. We have taken several steps and initiatives to improve the security environment,” he said.
Singh said setting up of Investigative Units on Crimes Against Women (IUCAWs) in 2015 to expedite probe into crimes against women was an indicative of the Narendra Modi government’s intention and concern for women’s security. “Introduction of 33 per cent reservation in jobs for women in police forces was also a significant steps in 2015,” he said.
The Home Minister said due to pro-active steps, cattle smuggling through the Indo-Bangladesh border has reduced significantly.