Government revives HIV/AIDS Bill to make treatment a right

Bill lays down penal provisions for discrimination against HIV-positive people, breach of confidentiality.

Written by Abantika Ghosh | New Delhi | Published: July 7, 2016 1:09 am
HIV/AIDS Prevention and Control Bill, HIV/AIDS bill, antiretroviral treatment, antiretroviral treatment legal right, antiretroviral therapy, HIV tests, hiv, hiv Aids, Aids cure, hiv india, Aids medicine, Aids treatment, HIV causes, india hiv, hiv aids,  antiretroviral drugs, arv, latest news, latest united nations news, latest india news, latest world news The Bill was referred to the standing committee before the NDA government assumed office. (Representational Photo)

MORE THAN two years after it was first introduced in Parliament in the last days of the UPA government, the NDA has revived the HIV/AIDS (Prevention and Control) Bill, 2014, which makes antiretroviral treatment a legal right of HIV/AIDS patients.

Headed by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, a Group of Ministers (GoM) met for the first time Wednesday evening to iron out the kinks in the Bill, as pointed out by a parliamentary standing committee.

The Bill makes it obligatory for the central and state governments to provide for antiretroviral therapy (ART) and management of opportunistic infections (infections that take advantage of weakness in the immune system and occur frequently). It prohibits specific acts of discrimination by the state, or any other person, against HIV-positive people, or those living with such people.

Related Article

Watch Video: What’s making news

Antiretroviral therapy (ART) consists of a combination of antiretroviral (ARV) drugs to maximally suppress the HIV virus, and stop progression of the disease. The protection mandated in the Bill extends to the fields of employment, healthcare services, educational services, public facilities, property rights, holding public office, and insurance.

Apart from Jaitley, the GoM includes Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar, Science and Technology Minister Dr Harshvardhan, MoS in Prime Minister’s Office Jitendra Singh, and Law and Justice Minister Ravishankar Prasad. The group will look into recommendations of the standing committee and ways to incorporate them in the existing Bill before sending it back to the Union Cabinet.

The Bill was referred to the standing committee before the NDA government assumed office. Since the earlier standing committee could not take it up once the Lok Sabha was dissolved, an extension was granted until April 30, 2015.

The committee, among other things, makes a strong recommendation for the ministry to take up the matter with the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority so that people with HIV/AIDS can buy health insurance. “The committee is of the opinion that all HIV-positive people should be provided insurance cover without any discrimination, preferably at normal rate of premium, or they may be charged (a) slightly higher rate of premium,” the committee said in its 85th report, tabled in April 2015. But under no circumstances, it added, should an “exorbitant rate of premium” be charged for insurance cover – “for both life and health insurance”.

The Bill provides for confidentiality of HIV-related information and also makes it mandatory to get informed consent for undertaking HIV tests, medical treatment and research. It lays down penal provisions for any discrimination practised against a person with HIV/AIDS and breach of confidentiality.

1. jessica brown
    Dec 24, 2017 at 11:50 am
    Am really grateful and thankful for what Dr CLIMENT, has done for me and my family. I Was having HIV/AIDS for good three years with no solution, the diseases almost took my life and cause I was unable to work and I was also loosing lots of money for medication, but one faithful day when I went online, I met lots of testimonies about this great man Called Dr climent scott so I decided to give it a try and to God be the glory he did it. he cured me of my diseases and am so happy and so pleased to Write about him today. if you need his help of you also want to get cured just the way I got mine, whatsapp him on his phone: 2347036879479 or just contact Dr CLIMENT via email, drclimentscott drclimentscott or call or whats-app 2347036879479 2347036879479
    (0)(0)
    1. jessica brown
      Dec 24, 2017 at 11:47 am
      (0)(0)
      1. J
        Jane Wembli
        Dec 2, 2017 at 1:20 am
        Hello everyone, I do not know just why some people are finding it hard to believe there is a cure for hiv, I have hiv since the last three years with my girlfriend, but today I am happy to be hiv_ with Dr. Ehimare's medicinal herbs, the great healer, I was surfing the internet looking for help when I found a testimony shared by someone about how Dr. Ehimare healed his widower, I needed a lot to get his treatment, but after all, Dr. Ehimare brought a smile to the my face with her medicinal herbs. I am very happy today that we have someone like this great healer out there, so the people out there, kindly remember this great healing er at his email address: drehimarespelltemple please feel your good work because there are people out there who need your healing medicine. Once again contact him now: drehimarespelltemple And you can also contact with your WhatsApp 2348148343053
        (0)(0)
        1. Murphy DE Escobar
          Sep 7, 2017 at 2:41 am
          thanks to dr.abaka for his good work I never believe that HIV has cure, I was HIV positive over 2 year now before I came across a comment about how dr.abaka cure HIV and herpes disease but when I saw it i have it in mind that he can’t cure HIV I just decided to give it a try I contact him that night luckily to me he replied me, but I don’t believe him I thought it was a scam but I still hold on to see the work of Dr abaka if he is saying the truth he ask for some details about me i gave him all he needed and I waited to see his reply to my problem after all, he told me to go for check up and I went for HIV test I cant believe I was negative,am so happy and grateful to God for using Dr abaka to cure me, that is the reason why i decided to write this wonderful testimony of how i was cured, i recommend Dr abaka to you all around the world,contact him on his Email drabakaspelltemple or you can also reach him through 2349063230051 thanks dr.abaka for helping me at this young age
          (0)(0)
          1. Lizzy Dixon
            Sep 2, 2017 at 11:28 pm
            Thanks to dr.ezomo for his good work I never believe that HIV has cure, I was HIV positive over 3 year now before I came across a comment about how dr.ezomo cure HIV and herpes disease but when I saw it i have it in mind that he can’t cure HIV I just decided to give it a try I contact him that night luckily to me he replied me, but I don’t believe him I thought it was a scam but I still hold on to see the work of Dr ezomo if he is saying the truth he ask for some details about me i gave him all he needed and I waited to see his reply to my problem after all, he told me to go for check up and I went for HIV test I cant believe I was negative,am so happy and grateful to God for using Dr ezomo to cure me, that is the reason why i decided to write this wonderful testimony of our i was cured, i recommend Dr ezomo to you all around the world,contact him on his Email dr.ezomorootandherbals or you can also reach him through thanks dr.ezomo for helping me at this young age if you need
            (0)(0)