Rains on Friday continued to batter several parts of Tamil Nadu under the influence of an active North-East monsoon as the toll in rain-related incidents in the state stood at 48. Normal life was thrown out of gear with heavy rains pounding Chennai, suburbs and neighbouring districts since Thursday night.
Arterial roads including Anna Salai, Poonamallee High Road and GST Road in the city came under sheets of water hitting vehicular movement. The inundation in the downtown areas around Fort St George, Chennai Central Railway Station, Office of the Commissioner of Police and Kilpauk was heavy.
Long lines of vehicles lined up everywhere and rubber road barricades were seen floating on Poonamalle High Road and vehicles including a city MTC bus stopped mid-way as water rising over two feet clogged the engines.
Also, subways dotting GST Road linking southern suburbs like Adambakkam, Madipakkam and Pazhavanthangal with the city saw severe water-logging slowing down office-goers. Power supply was disrupted in some areas.
Neighbouring districts of Tiruvallur and Kanchipuram too witnessed good rains. Several lakes in Tiruvallur and Kanchipuram like the sprawling Madurantakam Eri received copious water.
Watch Video: Dramatic Footage Of A Tree Falling On A Car
Also, water level in reservoirs that supply drinking water to Chennai – Red Hills, Cholavaram, Chembarambakkam and Poondi has increased. Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa had condoled the death of the victims, a majority of whom drowned in flood waters and announced Rs 4 lakh each to their families as assistance from the Disaster Relief Fund.
- Chennai rain: Normal life thrown out of gear as heavy rains lash city
- Chennai rain live updates: Downpour predicted for next 24 hrs; CM Palaniswami visits RK Nagar, interacts with people
- Chennai: Heavy rains bring city to a halt, schools remain closed
- Tamil Nadu: Heavy rains bring Chennai traffic to grinding halt; 1 killed in wall collapse
- Chennai drowns in deluge of water, flight services suspended
- Chennai Rains: Dramatic Footage Of A Tree Falling On A Car
The weather office forecast rains in many places in southern districts with heavy rains in some areas and over a few places in northern Tamil Nadu for the next few days.