The headless body of a girl was recovered from a betel leaf grove in West Midnapore on Saturday morning, according to police. Villagers from the area said the girl was murdered somewhere else, and then dumped in the grove which is in Harashankar Garkilla village, 10 kms away from Tamluk.
“It is too early to come to a conclusion, we are waiting for the postmortem report to ascertain how and when she was murdered. An investigation is on,” West Midnapore SP Alok Rajoria said.
According to police sources, Chandicharan Manna, the owner of the grove, was the first to notice the headless body when he went there to begin work. He immediately informed other locals, who in turn contacted the local police.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
“The body was lying naked in a flat position with turmeric powder around it. The two feet had alta poured on them. A bunch of incense sticks and a bowl with a red cloth dipped in vermillion had been placed on her torso,” one of the investigating officers told The Sunday Express on the condition of anonymity.
“There was no sign of resistance apart from a few bloodstains. It seems that the body was smoothly placed there,” said another officer.
Since the objects recovered had religious connotations, locals also claimed that the girl might have been murdered as part of a ‘human sacrifice’ ritual.
“The body is still unidentified, and we are yet to trace out the missing part of the body. All nearby police stations have been informed. We are trying to check if there was any missing report of a girl that matches the physical appearance of the victim. So far, no missing complaint has been lodged under Tamluk police station,” an officer said.
Sniffer dogs were also reportedly taken around the crime scene to try and trace the movements of the accused.