Even as CM Manohar Lal Khattar stood at the podium at the Haryana Swarna Jayanti Utsav’s inauguration event in Gurgaon and claimed it had united people across parties, several AAP workers were picked up by police when they attempted to stage a demonstration against the event. Speaking at the function, Khattar said, “This is the first public meeting where members of our own party as well as the Opposition have gathered. This is an indication of the fact that we are not celebrating the Swarna Jayanti of any party or any government, but of Haryana.”
Watch What Else Is Making News
Hundreds of AAP workers, meanwhile, were preparing for a march that had been organised in Gurgaon to protest against the event, and gathered for the same at Blessing Garden in Sector 40 around 5 pm.
AAP’s state unit president Naveen Jaihind had been held by Gurgaon police earlier in the day as well, in anticipation of such a situation, along with 10 others, but was released around two pm. He then made his way to the venue of the protest.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
Addressing the gathering, he said that the “wheels of progress have stopped moving” ever since the BJP government came into power and so there was little cause for celebration. Among other things, he alleged that the youth was unemployed, farmers were fighting to sell grains at the right prices and the standard of health and education in the country was falling.
“We did not detain them but only took down their names, numbers and addresses. We then made them sign an undertaking and released them within two hours,” said Arvind Dahiya, Station House Officer (SHO) of the Sector 56 police station.