A woman councillor of BJP-ruled Prantij municipality in Sabarkantha district on Wednesday allegedly committed suicide by setting herself ablaze at her house in Prantij, police said. 56-year-old Arkhiben Rathod, a councillor from the BJP, was rushed to civil hospital at nearby Himmatnagar town this afternoon following her suicide bid, said, Assistant Sub Inspector Harshad Joshi, who is posted at Himmatnagar civil hospital chowky.
“Her family members said in a statement that she poured kerosene on herself when she was alone at the house and set herself ablaze. She died shortly after being admitted at the hospital,” said Joshi.
“As per the statement of her family members, she was suffering from some mental illness and was under treatment for the same. It is possible that she might have taken the extreme step due to this illness. We have informed Prantij police station about her death,” said the police official.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
According to local BJP leaders, Rathod was a senior councillor of Prantij Nagarpalika and had won thrice from the seat.