Three days after eight men allegedly attempted suicide demanding Rashtra Mata status for cow, a youth tried to immolate himself over the issue in Junagadh, but he was prevented by police. Ashish Wala, 19, entered the Junagadh District Collector office compound by jumping over a closed gate and tried to douse himself with kerosene. However, the policemen present at the spot snatched away the bottle from the youth and took him into preventive custody.
“The man had submitted a memorandum to Junagadh Collector three days ago, demanding cow be declared as the Rashtra Mata. He had sought a reply on his demand within 72 hours or else he would immolate himself. We had posted a police party at the Collector office in view of his threat and as soon as he reached there, he was detained,” police said.
- Thirty-two-year-old man attempts suicide outside Mantralaya
- Junagadh man tries to immolate himself demanding ‘rashtra maata status’ for cow
- Gujarat Assembly: Congress supports ‘rashtra mata’ status for cow, no commitment from BJP
- Cow activist’s kin claim his body after written assurance from Collector
- Rajkot cow protection row: Family claim body of activist after assurance from collector
- Rajkot: 8 consume pesticide in bid to get cow declared ‘rashtra maata’, 1 dead
Wala has been detained under CrPC section 151 (preventive detention). Police said that the youth, a resident of Girnar Darwaja area of Junagadh, had completed a course from an industrial training institute.
Incidentally, eight cow protection activists had allegedly consumed poison and tried to commit suicide in Rajkot district Collector’s office on Thursday, demanding that cow be declared rashtra maata. Later, one activist died while undergoing treatment in a hospital”.