At least six prison guards were on Thursday injured in brick bating by prisoners at the district jail in Gorakhpur over the death of an inmate, whom the prisoners claimed died of police beating. The incident took place when the prisoners created ruckus in the jail after one of the inmates died during a search operation by prison officials, in which 130 mobile phones were recovered, Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP), Ramlal Verma said.
The inmates clashed with the guards and held them hostage, he said, adding that at least six guards were injured in the incident. Jailor R K Singh said the inmate died due to cardiac arrest. The prisoners, however, claimed that the inmate was beaten on directions of the jailor due to which he died.
Police had to lob teargas shells at the prisoners and resort to firing to control the situation, Singh said, adding the electricity and water supply of the jail has been snapped. The efforts are on to normalise the situation. Drone cameras are being used to keep an eye on the inmates, police added.
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations