The Congress has began shortlisting candidates for all the 40 constituencies in Goa in view of the state Assembly polls next year. “Both the district committees have submitted names of the candidates from all the 40 constituencies. These names would be discussed in Pradesh Election Committee in Panaji before forwarding it to the Central Election Committee in Delhi,” a senior party functionary told PTI today.
Watch What Else Is Making News
In each of the constituency, the district committees have received suggestions from the block committees following which the candidates are being listed. In few places, candidates are more than one, he said.
“The list is kept confidential. All probables are named in it. All the 40 constituencies are covered considering the possibility that the party will fight elections on its own, if alliance is not forged with like-minded forces,” he said.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
The names of the candidates would be announced in November, he added. Goa Pradesh Congress Committee president Luizinho Faleiro, who was not available for his comment had recently announced that the party has strengthened its base in all the constituencies. Several political outfits like Goa Forward and NCP have expressed willingness to align with the Congress, but the party (Congress) has maintained silence on the issue.
The Congress party which ruled Goa till 2012, saw itself being reduced to a single digit in the Assembly when it could win on only nine seats. The election saw NCP’s wipe out from Goa’s political scene. Of the total nine legislators, Congress has already expelled its MLA Anatanasio Monserratte for anti-party activities, while its Dabolim MLA Mauvin Godinho has announced that he would be fighting next election on BJP ticket.
Another legislator Pandurang Madkaikar representing Cumbharjua constituency too has said that he would not be contesting on the Congress ticket.