Goa government today started the process to allot licences to shack owners and seven days have been given to them to apply for it. “The department today invited applications for 259 shacks in North and 108 in South Goa. The shack licences would be allotted for next three years,” State Tourism Minister Dilip Parulekar told PTI.
Watch What Else is Making News
Shack owners in the state were upset with the delay in the finalisation of Shack Policy by the government, leading to ambiguity among them whether or not to erect temporary shacks (beach side eateries).
The first chartered flight from Russia arrived on October 2 at International airport in Dabolim.
“We have allotted seven days to the applicants (shack owners) to apply for licence. On the eighth day, we will allot shacks. Entire process will end in 10 days from now,” the minister said.
He said the department will also table Shack Policy for three years period i.e. 2016-19 before the state cabinet in the coming week for approval.
Admitting that absence of Goa Coastal Zone management Authority’s (GCZMA) committee might be an impediment for shack owners as they require NOC from the authority, Parulekar said GCZMA member secretary will be authorised to sign the documents (NOCs).
GCZMA committee currently stands dissolved, awaiting new appointments.
The shack owners, however, are aggrieved over the delay and claimed that tourists usually visit Goa to enjoy at shacks alongside beaches.
“Hotels market Goa in foreign countries highlighting shacks as USP (unique selling proportion). But the ground reality is different now. The chartered tourists have arrived and they are scouting for beach shacks,” president, Shack Owners’ Welfare Society Cruz Cardoso, said.
The shack owners, led by Cardoso, had protested in Panaji earlier this week seeking government’s intervention to expedite the process of shack allotment.
Cardoso said they are abiding by all the norms laid down by the government and had demolished temporary structures on May 31 this year when the last season ended.