Republic Day celebrations this year will be different for families with infant girls across Haryana. As part of initiatives to encourage the girl child in a state with the lowest sex ratio in the country, the Haryana Education Department has sent invitations to such families for Republic Day events in their localities, where they will be seated in front rows.
Invitations have gone out to families of more than two lakh girls for events in schools in their respective villages. They are in the name of the girl child.
- Independence Day celebrations: Haryana to invite parents of infant girls to plant saplings
- Now Haryana to celebrate birthday of girl students
- PM Modi hails Manohar Lal Khattar’s Republic Day girl child initiative
- Haryana honours mothers of infant girls on Republic Day
- Haryana: Why should we spend on a girl who will bring us no money?
- Rajasthan villages vow to celebrate every girl child birth
The flag-hoisting at the Republic Day events would also be done by a village’s most educated girl. The girl would then remain a member of the school management committee for one year.
The local schools helped identify the families with the infant girls, looking at children born between January and December last year, and sent out the invitations.
An official of the Education Department said the aim was to give the girls a place of pride in the family. “We wanted to make the parents feel that it was because of their daughters that they were receiving respect. We want the perception about the girl child to change.”
Sex ratio at birth in the state in 2015 was 876. A total of Haryana’s 12 districts are among the 100 worst selected under the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao programme.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
The Haryana government has over the past few months increased enforcement of the Pre-Conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostics Technique (Prohibition of Sex Selection) Act. A total of 58 FIRs have been registered under the PC&PNDT Act and 72 FIRs under the Medical Termination of Pregnancy Act.