Republic Day celebrations this year will be different for families with infant girls across Haryana. As part of initiatives to encourage the girl child in a state with the lowest sex ratio in the country, the Haryana Education Department has sent invitations to such families for Republic Day events in their localities, where they will be seated in front rows.
Invitations have gone out to families of more than two lakh girls for events in schools in their respective villages. They are in the name of the girl child.
- Independence Day celebrations: Haryana to invite parents of infant girls to plant saplings
- Slow but promising start to PMC’s Laadki Lek scheme
- Now Haryana to celebrate birthday of girl students
- PM Modi hails Manohar Lal Khattar’s Republic Day girl child initiative
- Haryana honours mothers of infant girls on Republic Day
- Haryana: Why should we spend on a girl who will bring us no money?
The flag-hoisting at the Republic Day events would also be done by a village’s most educated girl. The girl would then remain a member of the school management committee for one year.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
The local schools helped identify the families with the infant girls, looking at children born between January and December last year, and sent out the invitations.
An official of the Education Department said the aim was to give the girls a place of pride in the family. “We wanted to make the parents feel that it was because of their daughters that they were receiving respect. We want the perception about the girl child to change.”
Sex ratio at birth in the state in 2015 was 876. A total of Haryana’s 12 districts are among the 100 worst selected under the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao programme.
The Haryana government has over the past few months increased enforcement of the Pre-Conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostics Technique (Prohibition of Sex Selection) Act. A total of 58 FIRs have been registered under the PC&PNDT Act and 72 FIRs under the Medical Termination of Pregnancy Act.