French President Francois Hollande is expected to arrive in Chandigarh on January 24 before attending the Republic Day’s parade in New Delhi.
Hollande is the chief guest at this year’s Republic Day parade in New Delhi. UT adviser Vijay Dev said according to information, President Hollande’s flight will land in Chandigarh International Airport directly from France.
Terming it as a historic visit to the City Beautiful, Dev said it will be after 50 years that a French president would visit the city. “Chandigarh has earned a reputation of being a world-class city across the world and the French president will get the best of the city,” said Dev.
Chandigarh, which is the first planned city in India after the country got independence in 1947, is known across the world for its architecture and urban design. The city was planned by French architect Le Corbusier. Hollande has expressed his desire to see Le Corbusier’s works.
Dev praised the efforts of the residents in Chandigarh in preserving the city. “The residents and citizens have worked hard to preserve the city designed by master architect Le Corbusier,” said Dev.
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
Home secretary takes stock of preparations
Home secretary Anurag Aggarwal on Monday visited all the places Hollande is expected to visit during his one-day visit to the city and took stock of the preparations.
Hollande is likely to visit the Capitol Complex in Sector 1; Tagore Theatre in Sector 18; Rock Garden in Sector 1, and Chandigarh Architecture Museum in Sector 10.
Aggarwal said the departments concerned have been asked to ensure that all these places are clean. Asked about Hollande’s visit, Aggarwal said though the administration is yet to receive the final programme, the French president is expected to leave for Delhi in the evening of January 24 .
Prime Minister Narendra Modi is likely to receive Hollande at the airport. Directions have been issued to police to make elaborate security arrangements and ensure that no inconvenience is caused to the public.
MoU likely to be signed
During the visit, France is likely to sign a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Chandigarh for helping it develop as a smart city. Last year, France had committed to help three Indian cities — Chandigarh, Nagpur and Puducherry — to be developed as smart cities. Chandigarh is competing for making into the list of first 20 cities to be picked by the ministry of urban development for funding in year 2016-17 under the Smart City project.