With hardly four months left for the Assembly election, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi Friday announced that his government would provide rice at Rs 2 per kg to over two crore people under the National Food Security Act, with the state bearing an additional Re 1 subsidy on the central government’s rate.
“While we are supposed to provide rice at Rs 3 per kg under the National Food Security Act, we will give rice at Rs 2 per kg, with the state government bearing the additional one rupee burden per kg,” Gogoi said.
The chief minister, who exuded confidence that the Congress would win fourth time in a row, also announced several other schemes with the election in mind. It included raising daily wage of Assam Tea Corporation’s plantation labourers to Rs 177, a new pension scheme for anganwadi workers and helpers, ASHA workers, Home Guard personnel and gaonburras, and old-age pension to all BPL citizens above 60 years of age.
“We will also provide free uniform to all students from BPL families up to Class X, set up coaching centres for competitive exams in all district headquarters and provide wifi connectivity in all colleges, and create 75,000 new posts in the new year,” Gogoi said.
He also announced setting up development councils for Brahmins and Kayasthas as also for a small Muslim community called Jolha in line with similar development councils already created for at least 23 different communities in the past few years. Also, autonomous councils for those Bodo tribals who are domiciled outside the Bodoland Territorial Autonomous Council are on the anvil.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest