Former Kerala Assembly Speaker T S John passed away at a hospital at Chertala i Alapuzha Thursday morning.
John (74) passed away due to old age related ailments, family sources said.
His wife had predeceased him and he is survived by a son, they said.
John, who was a leader of a faction of the Kerala Congress (Secular), had also served as a minister in the A K Antony cabinet.
- Himachal: Dr Bindal elected Assembly Speaker
- Delhi Confidential: Eyes On Kerala
- Delhi Confidential: Front Row Changes
- Former Kerala minister E Chandrasekharan Nair passes away
- Former Kerala Assembly Speaker A C Jose dies at 79
- Here's how the Janata Parivar merger could push ruling Congress in Kerala into a dilemma
An active member of students movements while at SB College, Changanachery, he subsequently became a Member of Kaviyoor Panchayat.
A lawyer by profession, John, one of the founder members of Kerala Congress, was elected to the assembly from Kalooppara constituency four times. He became a Member of the Assembly for the first time as a Kerala Congress Member.
John, who was Speaker of the fourth Kerala Assembly for a short period from February 17, 1976 to March 25, 1977, had also served as the Minister for Food & Civil Supplies from October 19, 1978 to October 27, 1978 in the Antony Ministry.
In the reconstituted Ministry that followed under the leadership of P K Vasudevan Nair, he continued to be the Minister for Food & Civil Supplies, from October 29, 1978 to October 7 1979.