More than a year after it started a probe into the multi-crore chit fund scam in Odisha, the CBI managed the first conviction .
A special court here sentenced Gouri Sankar Parida, MD of EShore Developers, to two years rigorous imprisonment and slapped a fine of Rs 72,000 .
“This is the first trial to be completed in the chit fund cases in which an accused has been convicted,” said a CBI official. Eshore Developers Ltd was registered in 2011 and had lured hundreds of depositors from Balasore district.
- Fodder Scam: 3.5 years of jail for Lalu Yadav in second case, judgment in two others within a month
- More trouble in store for Lalu: Judgments in 2 fodder scam cases expected in a month
- Fodder scam case: Lalu Prasad Yadav handed jail term of 3.5 years, imposed Rs 10 lakh fine
- Disproportionate assets case: Dismissed senior division judge sentenced to 4 years’ imprisonment with Rs 1 lakh fine
- Sebi act case: Man gets 5 years in jail, fine of over Rs 1 crore slapped
- Odisha: Chief of chit fund firm Artha Tatwa gets 7-year jail