A huge fire broke out at a textile factory located in an industrial area in Kim near Surat early this morning, though factory workers present inside were rescued unhurt, officials said. Saanika Industries, which is into manufacturing of polyester yarns and textile raw materials, reported fire early Wednesday morning when around 150 persons were working inside the factory, Surat Chief Fire Officer S K Acharya said.
The company is located at an industrial area in Hariyal village of Kim, some 40 kms from Surat.
The blaze, which started at around 5.30 AM, was yet to be brought under control.
“Around 15 fire-fighting vehicles from Surat fire department, nearby industrial areas and municipality have been pressed into action to control the fire which spread to a large part of the factory. Around 150 persons working in the factory in night shift were rescued unhurt, but loss to the factory would run in crores,” he said.
Acharya said the exact cause of the fire was yet to be ascertained, but suspected short circuit for the mishap.
“The fire spread fast due to the presence of plastic raw materials in the factory,” he said.