Fire at Presidency College, one injured

Fire broke out at around 1:30 pm inside the server room of the Presidency College library probably due to an electrical botch-up in the air conditioning machine.

By: PTI | Kolkata | Published:September 10, 2016 2:18 am
Kolkata, presidency college, fire, presidency fire, college fire, one injured, student, student injured, india news, indian express Firefighters at Presidency College, where a fire broke out on Friday. (Source: Express Photo by Partha Paul)

One student was injured while trying to escape a fire which broke out inside the server room of Presidency University library in the city this afternoon, police said.

Thick black smoke engulfed the entire College Street campus of the University after fire broke out at around 1:30 pm inside the server room of the library probably due to an electrical botch-up in the air conditioning machine, a senior police officer said.

A student suffered minor injuries when he along with others fell down while trying to flee fearing the blaze was a massive fire, the officer said.

Five fire tenders were pressed into service and students as well as teachers were evacuated from the century-old building, he said.

In October 2010 a major fire had broken out at the Baker building of the university that houses the chemistry department where chemicals and gas cylinders were stored.

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results