Six members of a family,including two girls, allegedly committed suicide by consuming poison at Anjangaon Surji town in the district in the wee hours today, police said.
Prafulla Narayan Chavan (50), Vivek Narayan Chavan (35), Mangala Narayan Chavan (40), Laxmi Narayan Chavan (38) -all siblings – and their nieces Reshmi Arun Barad (18) and Kalini Arun Barad (20), took the extreme step at their house, police said.
The incident came to light this morning, when their neighbours knocked on the door, and there was no response, they said.
- Uttar Pradesh: Two class XII students dead, police suspect suicide
- Delhi: Couple found dead at home, probe on
- Former corporator commits ‘suicide’
- Ignoring family’s pleas, woman jumps to death in Tardeo
- Businessman kills wife and 2 daughters, commits suicide: Cops
- Six of family found dead in Amravati district
Following which, they informed their kin Usha Barad and her son Roshan. On reaching their house, Roshan climbed to the house’s roof, removed tiles and saw all the six lying on the floor, police said.
Police said the Chavans ran a small grocery shop in Kathipura where they lived in a house with two maternal nieces.
After receiving information, SDPO Shivthare rushed to the spot. Police broke open the door to find all of them dead inside.
A bottle of a poisonous substance was recovered from the spot. No suicide note was found, police said.
The bodies have been sent for post mortem and probe is underway, they added.