An engineer and a contractor working on a project of the Bihar Rajya Pul Nirman Nigam were shot dead at a construction site in Baheri, Darbhanga, on Saturday morning. Police suspect extortion could have been the motive for the murder. The state DGP has sought a detailed report on the incident.
The incident took place at 7.30 am in Gangata village under Baheri police station, where a private construction company engaged by the state bridge construction corporation had set up its camp. The construction company’s consultant engineer Brajesh Kumar, a resident of Aurangabad, and Mukesh Kumar, a contractor from Begusarai, were sitting at the spot when two unidentified persons arrived on a bike and shot them at close range. They were taken to Darbhanga Medical College and Hospital, where they died.
- Mumbai: 45-yr-old dies after brick from highrise falls on his head
- At least 3 die after consuming spurious liquor in Bihar; 6 held for illegal alcohol trade
- Darbhanga twin murder, one held
- Engineers’ murder: Firms meet Tejashwi to allay fears
- Darbhanga engineers’ killing: Kin of extortion kingpin arrested
- Bihar police probe extortion link in engineers' killing
Darbhanga SP Ajit Kumar Satyarthi said police are trying to ascertain if the construction company received an extortion call. “We are conducting raids and probing all angles,” said the SSP. Bihar DGP P K Thakur said he has sought a report from Darbhanga police on the incident.